An introduction to Zen unlike any you’ve seen before–inspired by manga and graphic novels. The Complete Illustrated Guide to Zen offers a comprehensive overview of Soto Zen Buddhism in a delightfully captivating way. Complete with dynamic, detailed illustrations, Soto Zen Priest Seigaku Amato uses a semi-narrative style to take you on a visual tour of Buddhism and, using specifics to illuminate universals, dives deep into the practices and forms of Soto Zen.
Whether you are just taking your first step or have been practicing Zen for years, this creative and profound book will be a constant companion and guide on your journey as it explores topics such as
– a brief history of Buddhism,
– an iconographic overview of various buddhas and bodhisattvas,
– an introduction to the various practices of Zen including meditation (zazen), work practice (samu), and meditative eating (oryoki),
– a what’s what of holidays, ceremonies, temple instruments, and religious vestments, and
– a how-to guide for setting up a home altar.
This book is in a paperback format and measures 16.8 x 26 x 0.8 cm.
- Dimensions: 16.8 x 26 x 0.8 cm
- Weight: 226.8 g
- Author: Seigaku Amato
- Publisher: Pie International Co., Ltd.; Illustrated edition (1 Oct. 2019)
- Pages: 144
- Format: Paperback
- ISBN: 9781614295716